Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Fussy girls in my IC class

Today when I was teaching IC, I was angry to a group of students (girls!!!)
Why girls are so fussy?
Anyway, to cut the story short, after conducting the quiz at the beginning of the meeting today, I had a short discussion of the quiz. All students were counting their own mistakes - how many correct and wrong answers - things like those.
I went on explaining and giving more examples and exercises (as they requested a week earlier). In the middle of my lecturing, I stopped and told the girls to just go outside the class if they wanted to chat in the class. Again, I reminded them strongly, if they'd like to stay in the classroom, they shouldn't have acted that way.

I intentionally didn't really look into their eyes as I explained to other kids. I skipped them. Even if I looked into their eyes - it's just a glance. This has happened repeatedly in my class. Last week, I remembered I also told them not to chat in the classroom. I guess they didn't take my reminder seriously. Well...I hope this time they will realize what they did wrong.

The lessons continued pretty well with the other students ;)
We went over some exercises - some students came forward and wrote their answers on the board and they got their answers correctly. Some other students were taking notes.
After the class, some students stayed for quite some time asking for more explanations and/or just chatting.

Sometime, I am just wondering. This trimester, these students' future is a mystery. It could be a new beginning of their college life. On the other hand, it could be the end of their college life at the English Department (aka. Drop Out).
We, teachers, have been trying our best to help, motivate, encourage, and support them in many ways, but some students are just too ignorant. Although we have been given many sources and/or materials, only few students really work on their best - showing good efforts of their share. The rest...I don't know... and I don't dare to imagine...what kind of life are they going to live in? - disappointment, for sure! Regret - no doubt for that!
Well... so far, I have done a lot to help them. Hopefully, they will soon realize that when I take a moment to talk to them giving them advice - that means, I still care about them! ;)